Our School History
1881 - St. Joseph Catholic Church on McDuffie Street in downtown Anderson, SC is dedicated by the Most Rev. Patrick N. Lynch, Bishop of Charleston on May 10.
1900 - Rose Lummus, lay associate of the Daughters of the Sacred Heart, is sent to St. Joseph to establish a parochial school by Msgr. Andrew R. Gwynn. She dies unexpectedly on March 16 and is buried in Old Silverbrook Cemetery. No school is established.
1963 - The parish receives authorization from Bishop Francis Reh to relocate to a larger site at 1200 Cornelia Road, Anderson. Fr. John Patat leads the program of relocation and construction.
1965 - Bishop Ernest L. Unterkoefler dedicates the multipurpose hall and six classroom school building. This building was used from religious education classes for children and adults.
1967 - St. Joseph Catholic School opens on August 31 with 63 students in first through fifth grade and is staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia and with Rev. Thomas D. Timlin as pastor. The sisters served the school and its people for the next twenty years. They were greatly responsible for improving the visibility of the school and the quality of education.
1987 - St. Joseph Catholic Church and School break ground on the present church building and two room addition to school.
1988 - The addition to the school, housing the kindergarten and pre-kindergarten classroom, is opened and the new church is blessed.
1991 - The last year the Sisters of St. Francis teach at St. Joseph. Lay teachers make up the faculty and administration of school.